Search This Blog

22.7.10

Does this look like Fish?


Food: 1 : material consisting essentially of protein, carbohydrate, and fat used in the body of an organism to sustain growth, repair, and vital processes and to furnish energy; also : such food together with supplementary substances (as minerals, vitamins, and condiments) - 2 : nutriment in solid form - 3 : something that nourishes, sustains, or supplies

Fish: 1 : an aquatic animal - 2 : the flesh of fish used as food

I thought it would be relevant to look up common words such as “food” and “fish”. Merriam-Webster shows that fish as food comes as second. It does not seem obvious with the selection shown on the photo.

I remember hearing years ago that at the question “draw a fish” a british kindergarten boy drew a rectangle. Evidently when all you see are those frozen shapes, it is hard to assimilate this with the actual animal. I myself have a hard time relating those air-sealed pieces of flesh to my idea of the equivalent food. I grew up going to “Poissoneries” (fish shops) smelling the food before entering the space, always avoiding to look at the poor crustaceas on display which lame movements affected my youth’s sensibility (the veal I mentioned earlier was dead, they were not). I never imagined that seeing the actual seafood was a privilege.

Yet less and less people have time to prepare fresh meals and the products shown are practical and economical. The problem comes when you do not know what you are buying anymore, let alone where it comes from.

I found out there are organized trips to go fishing in San Francisco, if one ever wants to venture there.


No comments:

Post a Comment