Search This Blog

22.7.10

What is in season.


I went to the Farmer's Market having in mind a specific recipe but once there I could not find an item: apples. Later I went to Trader Joe's and there they were in abundance. That is when I realized how accustomed we are to obtain any ingredient at any time, not even thinking about its natural production. I myself am not very aware of what is specific to what time. I recall that pears are in autumn and cherries in summer... appalling. Yet this will not stop most of us from sleeping at night.

I decided to look online for relevant information. The first site pleased me as it was a similar case giving me what I was looking for. Yet the second site startled me. It starts with a list of food but by clicking on "bananas" I found that is was available all year long! For a site called "fruit seasons" this is ridiculous. Seasons are not defined but what one can find in a supermarket! Now I might not be familiar with what is in season but I am more critical than this. The third site was the one I connected with thanks to its graphical clarity.

Then comes the question whether "all year round" availability should be acceptable. Wanting apples, this case was convenient but could I have lived without them? of course. Considering only personal consequences eating in season not only enables us to appreciate our food more but it also permits us to get the best out of it. Seems like a winning situation to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment