Search This Blog

22.7.10

F(00)D

I live right above a Walgreens in SF and this is what I find, conveniently packaged food. All I know is that I have a student budget and I'm hungry. It's so easy to fall into the convenient trap because its cheap and readily available. But do we really stop to think what goes into these products? The embodied energy that goes into extracting the resource, processing, packaging , branding, and transporting it? Also, what happens to the waste? And most importantly, our health? Due to processed foods in this country, an industry that accounts for about $3.2 trillion of our GDP, Americans are dealing with health issues such as obesity, heart disease, and type II diabetes. I say, "No thanks!" What are our other options? I think urban agriculture is an alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment