Search This Blog

22.7.10

Humane Certified Egg Whites

These egg whites purport to be "humane certified." That led me to the American Humane Certified site. While I'd heard of free-range eggs, I had never seen this before. I didn't know what to think. At first, I thought this must be good for the consumer. However, once I looked at the requirements of becoming a certified producer, I found a byzantine maze of legal and scientific jargon. Those farms that make it through the gauntlet of tests then have the privilege of signing a license agreement to use the logo in their products. While American Humane does not appear to make a profit from the fees it collects for the certification process, there are some interesting allegations on the Peta site and others questioning AHA's practices.

While I question it's impartiality as well, perhaps it's time for the FDA to step in and regulate organic and free-range produce? It's the devil we know.

No comments:

Post a Comment