Search This Blog

22.7.10

Vegetarianism and Veganism.



One of the first things that struck me when I moved to the States was the copious amount of vegetarian and vegan choice I could find in any food place. Not only was I struck but I was also highly skeptical. I considered the choice of vegetarianism or any of its derivation to be a picky whim of childish ideology that one should not kill animals because 1. They’re cute 2. It’s cruel.

I saw a headless veal hanging by a rope when I was four; it did not traumatize me. I saw it being barbecued that night and enjoyed every bite of it (not the entire animal obviously). What I did not know was how meat was treated here.

Fate made that I had a vegetarian roommate for my first year in college. Through conversation I learned about the atrocious process of meat production like chicken that are locked in enclosed spaces where they are force-fed and unable to carry their own weight (if they have the possibility to move). I will not even venture to talk about what they are fed with.

I soon understood that far from being a narrow-minded choice, vegetarianism is a way to go against the United States’ food production process. Watching a movie like Food Inc added graphics to words and made me consider for a split second to stop my own consumption of meat while in this country. This possibility never carried through but my consumption did decrease a lot. Now I am extremely cautious with my choice of meat no matter the price and even if I still believe that many vegans take the issue too far, I’ve stopped teasing them about their lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment